Tuesday

Question It!

Reading God's Word is important, right? Sure it is. It's food for our souls and gives us instruction on how to live as followers of Jesus. The guys in my fight club and I read and study the same passage of scripture throughout each week and then discuss it when we get together to minister to one another. One of the things that has helped me in my study of God's Word, that I shared with my fight club, is to question it. James MacDonald recommends the following questions to help you in your study:
  1. What portion of my reading stands out to me? Why?
  2. Is there an example for me to follow?
  3. Is there an error for me to avoid?
  4. Is there a duty for me to perform?
  5. Is there any promise for me to claim?
  6. Is there a sin for me to confess?

Beyond these questions, I also like to look for words or phrases that describe God or his character. As I meditate on what the scripture says about God I come to know and love God more.

As leaders, challenge those in your group to do more than just read their Bibles. Question it, and watch and see how God begins to work in your small group's lives.

0 comments:

Post a Comment